Saint Matthew Parish was founded by Archbishop Edward Hoban on August 17, 1943. Father Robert Wingerter was appointed the first pastor of the parish, which serves the southeast area of the city of Akron known as Ellet. Property for a church building, a rectory, a convent, and a school was donated by the family of Charles and Salome Reymann. Now celebrating seventy-five years, the parish continues to be a center of worship, service, education, and community for the area, serving "as Christ to the world" for the surrounding community and the Diocese of Cleveland. Please feel welcome to visit our parish and be part of our community!