Parish Information
 

PASTORAL STAFF    

 

Pastor

Rev. Michael Williamson

gmichael@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Parish School

Principal

Mrs. Erin Faetanini

efaetanini@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Director of

Catechetical Ministry

 

Mrs. Jessica Plaspohl

jplaspohl@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Director of

Music Ministry

Mrs. Bridget Jankowski

bjankowski@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Administrative
Assistant / Office Manager

Ms. Kathy Strasser

kstrasser@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Religious Education

Secretary

Mrs. Kit Dubravetz

kdubravetz@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
 

Parish Bookkeeper

Mrs. Lisa Macdougall

lisamac@stmatthewparish.net

   
       
             

IN RESIDENCE    

       
 

City Hospital Chaplin

Father Dismas Byarugaba, A.J.

   
       
             

MAINTENANCE STAFF    

       
 

Maintenance

Supervisor

Mr. John Patton

Supervisor

   
       
             
PHONE DIRECTORY    
       
 
  Parish Office .................................................................... 330-733-9944  
  Parish Fax .................................................................... 330-733-9424  
  School Office .................................................................... 330-784-1711  
  School Fax .................................................................... 330-733-1004  
  Religious Education Office .................................................................... 330-784-7328  
             
HISTORY    
       
 
 

On August 18, 1943, Archbishop Edward F. Hoban established the seventeenth parish in Akron Ė the Parish of Saint Matthew. The Reverend Robert R. Wingerter was appointed as the founding pastor. The first Mass was offered on Sunday, September 12, 1943 in the auditorium of the former Ellet High School, currently Ritzman Elementary School. Mass was celebrated there until 1946.

 

Charles and Salome Reymann donated about two and one-half acres of land for the site of our parish. The plot of land is located east of Canton Road, between Berne and Benton Streets, with Woolf Street as the eastern boundary. The first building was completed in the fall of 1946; a Church and meeting hall (our present library now occupies part of this space). The first Mass was celebrated in the Church on November 11, 1946.

 

On September 7, 1949, Saint Matthew Parish School opened its doors for the first time. The convent for the Sisters of St. Dominic was completed shortly after the school opened. Our present Church and an addition to the school were completed in 1956. In 1960 the present rectory was completed. The most recent building addition, the social hall, was completed in 1980 and renamed in 1990 the Father Silva Center, in honor of our fourth pastor.

 
             
MISSION STATEMENT    
       
 
 

We, the community of Saint Matthew Parish, are a people who proclaim and reach out with the Good News to all. As Catholic Christians, we celebrate our redemption in prayer, Word, Sacrament and service. We commit ourselves to be an expression of Godís love to one another, using the gifts He has given to us by providing leadership, educating our youth, offering fellowship and giving hope to the broken hearted. We rely upon the Holy Spirit to empower us as we joyfully accept Jesusí call to share in His ministry.

 
             
MAP & DIRECTIONS    
       
             
 

CLICK HERE FOR AREA MAP

 

From the West:  Take the Akron Expressway East (Rout 77S) to the central interchange.  Then take route 76 East (that is continue straight) to the East Market St./ Mogadore Rd. exit.  Turn Right onto East Market St. Remain on East Market St. to the sharp right turn where it now becomes Canton Rd.  Three blocks after the hard right turn, there is a school crossing sign suspended across the road.  This is Berne St.  Turn left onto Berne St. 

 

From the East: As you approach, heading West on Route 76, exit onto East Market St./ Mogadore Rd.  Turn Left on East Market St. Remain on East Market St. to the sharp right turn where it now becomes Canton Rd.  Three blocks after the hard right turn there is a school crossing sign suspended across the road.  This is Berne St.  Turn left onto Berne St. 

 

From the South: Take Route 77 North to the Central Interchange then take Route 76 East.  Exit at East Market St./ Mogadore Rd.  Turn Right onto East Market St. Remain on East Market St. to the sharp right turn where it now becomes Canton Rd.  Three blocks after the hard right turn, there is a school crossing sign suspended across the road.  This is Berne St.  Turn left onto Berne St.

 

From the North: Take the Akron Expressway (Rt. 8) South, to the Central Interchange.  Take Route 76 East to the East Market St./ Mogadore Rd. exit. Turn Right onto East Market St. Remain on East Market St. to the sharp right turn where it now becomes Canton Rd.  Three blocks after the hard right turn, there is a school crossing sign suspended across the road.  This is Bern Street.  Turn left onto Bern Street.

 

Please note that the church and school parking lots are located at the corners of Berne Street and Wolf Avenue. The parish business office and rectory are located one block north of Berne Street, at 2603 Benton Street.

 
             

VIBRANT PARISH LIFE / CLUSTERING    

       
             
  Vibrant Parish Life Information

Cluster Information

Bishop Lennon Letter

Proposed Cluster Plan

Parish Town Hall Meeting

 
             
St Matthew Parish     2603 Benton Street     Akron, Ohio 44312     330-733-9944